Tenere 1VJ upgrade/modernisation

cadno
On the ladder
On the ladder
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: lot's of Yamahas, a few Montesas and a GPZ1100

Tenere 1VJ upgrade/modernisation

Post by cadno » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:53 am

Thanks to a forum member I now have the 1VJ that I've been looking for.
I already have a 34L that's bog standard, so I fancy this build being a bit of a hybrid.
I've decided to stay with the factory blue colour as I want it to look like a Sonauto bike.
It's got a 3AJ motor to fit into it.
Firstly
Any suggestions on stuff that needs looking at on these? You here so many horror stories of the 1VJ being a 'flawed' bike.
The upgrades I've heard about are:
Get rid of the fuel pump? I can live with a litre left in the tank.
Fit a 34L vented front mudguard? Obviously improves cooling.
Remove the oil cooler? Not so sure about this, can it be upgraded?
Any engine suggestions, upgrades?
Any suggestions on fitting later Yamaha switch gear? Which bike?

My plans:
I have a YZ250 upside down front end which I'm very tempted to fit.
I'd like to fit a pair of modern LED lights into the standard fairing aperture.
Same on the rear lights, standard aperture modern internals.
I like the idea of the keyless ignition - like the Motogadget units, this also takes care of the lack of ignition switch on the YZ top yoke.
I'm after the factory desert bike look so a Trail Tech Voyager GPS speedo get's rid of the need for a speedo cable and looks sufficiently factory.
Slim down the wiring loom getting rid of stuff like the side stand switch, clutch switch etc, all the clock wiring. Use modern vehicle wiring conduit. Maybe even a Motogadget M unit to really simplify the wiring.
Any suggestions greatfully received....

BMurr
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: James autocycle
BMW R100GS
1VK
Previously Owned Bikes: MTX126, Xt600 43F, Kawa GT550,750,GTR1000, BMW R100GS (x2)

Re: Tenere 1VJ upgrade/modernisation

Post by BMurr » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:03 pm

Featured on other rebuilds here are the uprated oil pump but the 3AJ motor will have covered that for you. The airbox needs it's front vents closing off and remove the cover from airbox so it can breathe from cooler air by the seat. Always nice to the before and after pics, do you have one of the bike as it is now?

charliext1vj
On the ladder
On the ladder
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600s 2x1VJ, 3UW, BSA Trail, CRF1000 + other?
Previously Owned Bikes: too many to list - XT600s, cr500, KTM 990 Adv, VFR800, RDs, DTs

Post by charliext1vj » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:24 pm

I so like this thread! I have just completed a light touch rebuild 1vj - mostly standard except black rims, zega panniers and stainless spokes with 3Aj airbox.
I have lots of bits to do something with including a 1VJ frame & V5. My aim was to go for a light weight 1vj including some of the things you discuss.

But back to your rebuild... first question I would suggest is....

The xt600 electric start engine is physically bigger - have you seen one fitted into a kick start only frame? (I know you can modify the spacing to accept the alloy swinging arm to accept electric engine but you need the 1vj rear hub to align to wider sprocket spacing(or 3aj if going rear disk?)

good luck

charliext1vj
On the ladder
On the ladder
Previously Owned Bikes: too many to list - XT600s, cr500, KTM 990 Adv, VFR800, RDs, DTs

Post by charliext1vj » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:30 pm

Sorry mis-read you are going for the modified 1VJ

Considerations - for mine are;
- going for alloy swinging arm or going to rear disk
- single carb conversion
moving battery to underseat
modified airbox behind carb

cadno
On the ladder
On the ladder

Post by cadno » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:14 pm

I like the idea of an alloy swing arm.
I suppose the obvious choice is a 34L arm, but a nice big chunky alloy arm out of an MX bike would look suitably factory.
A lot of the photos I've seen of works Yamaha's have the black rims, really like that look.
Does the 3AJ airbox replace the 1VJ one? Is it a better set up?
The battery is already under the seat, I'm thinking of going lith ion for a smaller lighter set up.

charliext1vj
On the ladder
On the ladder

Post by charliext1vj » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:29 pm

The xt600 alloy type allows easy fit of the monoshock - any other alloy I would go down the twin shock route for retro.

The 3AJ airbox is similar to the 1VJ one but moves the air intake to just in front of the seat so you can wade better! You can modify the 1vj box to do this easliy.

The battery is already under the seat - yes but I would move it to just in front of the rear light and yes lith ion for a smaller lighter set up. This would allow a small airbox behind the carbs - still not sure about a single carb though heard good and bad things.

BMurr
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: James autocycle
BMW R100GS
1VK
Previously Owned Bikes: MTX126, Xt600 43F, Kawa GT550,750,GTR1000, BMW R100GS (x2)

Post by BMurr » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:13 pm

What are the battery shrinking options. I've seen people using odyssey batteries on tbe old BMW's and sticking puncture repair kits in the freed up space.

motorang
On the ladder
On the ladder
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 1VJ

Post by motorang » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:04 am

It depends if you want to keep the electric leg. I removed the electric start (motor, relay and all) so things are lighter. Basically a 4 Ah battery of my old XT500 12V does the job as well.
Kick starting is much easier if you convert the automatic decompressor to a manual-type lever system as on older thumpers. All the cable stuff is already there, so you only have to pull the lever on your own instead of having a badly designed automatic system do it. This makes maintenance or push-starting the Tenere much easier as well.

Andy
Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice (Henry Ford)

cadno
On the ladder
On the ladder

Post by cadno » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Playing with the electrics at moment.
Removed all the gummed up dirty wrap, cleaned and fitted modern conduit. Looks the part.
Anybody used a dyna coil on an XT600, if so which one?