No Gold Stars Yet
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: Yamaha XT600Z Tenere 1VJ --sold
Yamaha XT600 43F
Yamaha XT600 Tenere 3AJ
Honda Transadventure PD06
Junak Chopper 500ccm

Re: 1VJ my modifications over time

Post by mazi » Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:13 pm

Hi @motorang, great bike, great model. My favourite model of XT600...

I've few questions, if you could describe it in details (photos will be welcome :-))

- changed the carb for the earlier model one without secondary carb membrane

Earlier models had right carb with smaller diameter, but there were membrane... What did you do with this membrane or what kid of carb have you installed?

- replaced rear monoshock for a Bilstein, then original shock + extension, then finally settled for a White Power unit

WP - from what model? With gas can on it or linked with wire?)

- engine repairs: oversize piston due to malfunctioning choke, 5th gear at about 70.000, original engine destruction close to 100.000 km due to lost oil plug

What kind of piston have you installed? Wiseco big bore 98diam? What was the exact reason for engine rebuild, illegal intake air and high AFR?

Best regards!
---
greets, mazi
Polish XT&TT forum:
www.forum.yamahaxt.pl

motorang
On the ladder
On the ladder
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 1VJ

Post by motorang » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:18 am

Hi
your are welcome

That secondary carb membrane was introduced with the 1VJ AFAIK, while earlier XT600 has a precision aluminium piston there, which is not prone to fail due to the alcohol content of modern fuels. I got it from a 1985 or 1986 XT600 (no Tenere).

WP shock: I bought that ages ago, after said failure of the original shock absorber in the Libyan desert 2000, so I can not really tell. It is an oil damper, has no external reservoir, and only one dial to adjust damping.
The original damper snapped right off at the top end (found a bigger picture than in my previous post, clear view on the luggage rack here as well):
The WP unit is not bad (it was a budget option back then) but the spring is quite soft by now.

Oversize piston: The choke got stuck which I was made aware of while climbing Mt. Assekrem in Algeria near Tamanrasset. I only thought it was because of the height (it is a 2800 m mountain) so soldiered on with a massively rich mixture, to get two persons and luggage up that mountain. Turning around was no option, we would have run out of fuel then. So it was hit or miss. When coming back to Tamanrasset the engine still was running rich albeit normal height situation. I fixed the problem there (stuck choke piston half way "open") but the rich mixture may have washed away enough of the oil in the cylinder to cause rubbing. Back home I checked and found some piston damage and too much of a clearance. Changed the piston for an oversized Yamaha original one as there are no aftermarket pistons available for my downsized 500 cc model.
Choke repair at Tamanrasset campsite:

Andy
Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice (Henry Ford)

BMurr
Financial
Financial
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: James autocycle
BMW R100GS
1VK
Previously Owned Bikes: MTX126, Xt600 43F, Kawa GT550,750,GTR1000, BMW R100GS (x2)

Post by BMurr » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 pm

Hi Again Motorang. What spares do you carry? I'm guessing, tubes, cables, spare link, spark plug, bulbs,but would you also carry coil, rectifier, ICU ?

motorang
On the ladder
On the ladder
What Bike or Bikes Do You Own?: XT600Z 1VJ

Post by motorang » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:51 pm

Hi,
that largely depends on the occasion.

I always carry stuff to replace a spark plug or fix a tire (which inludes a rear inner tube and a spare spark plug).
Plus something to bend a footpeg back or tighten a mirror to the handlebar, and a complete clutch cable.
0,5 l of engine oil, some chain lube, a small canister WD-40.
A spare chain clip link and a chain breaker, and a spare sprocket nut (as I have lost one on another motorcycle having the same system and nut involved).
I try to start with good tires, a drive chain which still has at least 50% of its lifespan, and same goes for the brake pads including brake fluid.
When checking for the chain, I also have a look at the wear and tear of the chain gliders/rolls and either replace them or take a spare with me if in doubt.

On rarer occasions I will have a set of wheel bearings and a sprocket carrier bearing in the kit, as well as a spare igntion coil/wire/plug.
For the Iceland trip I carried a alternator plate and sensors.

I usually do not carry spare bulbs as they are pretty standard and easy to get, also the rectifier is quite standard and inside Europe easy enough to replace. The Tenere engine will run without any charge or battery so it would get me out of trouble to some place to fix any other electrical issues. I therefore only carry a simple test lamp, mainly to check for problems with 12V sockets (for navigation or USB charging). No multimeter.

I only carry one standard rear inner tube. Very rarely I had to patch up a front tire, it is 95% rear tire problems you get really.
With a standard tube (not a HD motocross one) you should be able to use that in a front wheel as well in an emergency.
The rear inner tube is mostly for convenience, so I can patch up the other tube later instead on the roadside.

I do not carry spare clutch/brake levers as I have hand protectors with an Aluminium rail inside to prevent breaking these on a crash.
Usally the mirrors are attached to the handlebar allowing some movement, so they will rather give than break.
Overall the Tenere is a very reliable bike and got me home always.

Andy
Chop your own wood and it will warm you twice (Henry Ford)